ECL: electronic contractor linking
Developed on behalf of an international chemical corporation, EKA enables decentralized creation and editing of technical documents, while ensuring such processes are integrated instantly with the corporation’s centralized document management system.
Providing an import/export interface for document transfer, EKA is installed at the commissioning company’s business partners. In combination with the central document archive, based on the Engineering Document Management System (E-DMS) also implemented by ESOES, EKA forms a closed circuit for controlled, revision-secure transfer of documents between an industrial corporation and its (sub-)contractors. In effect, this means document circulation is expanded through the use of EKA beyond the standard application area covered by the central document management system to encompass both – revision and creation of technical documents by the contractor(s). In addition, by supplying templates and direct interfaces with leading CAD programs, EKA ensures documents fully comply with all standards and guidelines specified by the client.
However, EKA is not merely a standardized interface to the document archive, but it is also a powerful tool for creating, editing, and managing electronic documents and their metadata. This in turn will help streamline such processes significantly at all companies that use it.
Among other features, EKA offers the following functionality:
- Import/export interface to Documentum for bidirectional exchange of documents and their metadata with the client’s document management system – including immediate integration with workflows at the commissioning company
- Encrypted transfer packets for maximum security against manipulation and transmission errors
- Powerful administration, editing and search functions for documents of any format and their metadata
- Interface to leading CAD applications for conducting any batch-mode operations and for copying metadata (like revision index, drawing title, etc.) automatically to the drawing header
- Integrated revision management for automatic revision of CAD documents with simultaneous drawing-header update and full synchronization with the customer’s version management
- Support of referenced documents and document containers (e.g., CAE projects)
- Customer-specific templates for facilitating the creation and processing of documents under strict compliance with all standards and guidelines set forth by the client